Seneca: Created in 1820 fromYOGSOH SENECA-01: HISTORY OF THE METHODIST CHURCH IN FOSTORIA, OHIO. 1833-1900. "THE RETURN TO RISDON" By Melvin L. Murray, Gray Printing Company, 39 pages, cardstock wrappers. Boioklet is printed on 8 ½" by 11" paper, folded and stapled. ["Dedicated to those whose pioneering made Methodism a foundation stone of this community, with a special recognition to the Foster family."] This is a story of the events, the names, the changes in the church and community through the years chosen for this study. The history of the church and the history of the formal city of Fostoria intertwine so completely that they must be considered together.
. County Seat: Huron County . Courthouse: 81 Tiffin Jefferson St., Tiffin, OH 44883-2339(419) 447-4550.
In 1825 Neal McGaffey and a group of his men were sent from Fort Ball (Tiffin) to search for a lost boy, feared stolen by the Indians. During their search, they traveled through and around the spot where Tiffin and Main Streets in Fostoria now lay. They called it "Fort McGaffey"and encamped there that night.
A few years later, in 1832, the town of Risdon was being platted by Henry Welch, Jeremiah Mickey and John P. Gordon. Risdon was located north and west of "Fort McGaffey". The area of Tiffin & Main Street was platted in 1837 by Roswell Crocker, who changed the name to Rome. Both Rome and Risdon were surveyed by Roswell Crocker. They were close physically, but separated by politics. Rome was Whig, and Risdon was Democratic. Much animosity existed between the two towns, especially on Saturday nights. Charles Foster, Governor of Ohio came from Rome and was instrumental in developing the towns. Risdon became the residential haven and Rome was moving toward commercial success.
There follows a nice chapter on The Foster Family, beginning with Charles W. Foster, born in Massachusetts in 1800, son of William and Elizabeth (Nichols) Foster and their descendants. An article about the U. S. Religious Fervor and Area Methodism follows. This book is full of details of the building and the list of ministers nearly fills an entire page. The Methodist Cemetery was opened in 1856. Rome Methodists began to build their church in 1847. Early Schools and Unity carries much detail of this facet of pioneer life. The Fostoria Circuit and a charming picture of the Second Methodist Church in use from 1854-1883 is next. There is an extensive list of donors to the church that covers two pages. The early rolls of membership 1860-1865 are printed. The story of the building of the brick chutch is told. A lovely large brick church is pictured in Fostoria in use from 1883 to 1968.
Early preacher's tales, minutes from the church record books and old newspaper items fill this book with charm and smiles. The membership roll of the Epworth League and a short chapter on contemporary history finish this glimpse of how a chutch was founded, nurtured and grown. It takes two pages of picture to see this new magnificent church building, built in 1986, and dedicated to filling the spiritual needs of its parishioners and the city it calls home. A fitting tribute. Many names. No index. PRICE: $7
See Howe's Histories for more on this county.